Thursday 11 April 2019

3 Top Tips to Select a Business Name for Your Logo Design


Choosing a business name can be difficult at the best of times. Finding one that fits into your logo can be even more difficult. People can often have misconceptions about what a business should be called and can overcomplicate the idea.

Tip 1: First steps

The first step is a fairly obvious one. You need to make sure that the name you want hasn’t already been taken. According to the CBA, around 543,000 new businesses start every month and there are nearly 28 million small businesses in the USA. Clearly, there is a lot of competition for names.

One way to go about this is to take inspirations from famous brands around the world. USA Today compiled a list of the top 25 brands by value, and hardly any of them are over three syllables. Brands over that number are always shortened (Coca-Cola into ‘coke’) to something smaller.

There is a natural temptation to have a longer name but, you only have to look at the above list to realize short and punchy names stand out more than elongated ones.

Tip 2: Simplicity is key

When hooking a name to a logo, look at how simple other brands make it. Apple’s logo is so powerful that they don’t even use their name. Google and Amazon’s logos are logotypes with a touch of design while Facebook is just an ‘F’. The list is endless but, one factor rings true, simplicity works.

Picking a business name is easy yet tricky at the same time. It’s easy because there are tons of inspirations around us. Apple is a fruit, Target is a figure of speech, and Amazon is a river. There’s nothing particularly clever or unique about these names that we know so well. The difficulty though is finally making that choice and making it into a unique logo design for your business that will stick in your customers’ mind.

Tip 3: Don’t fall into traps

Amazon was very nearly called ‘Cadabra’ which was a shortened version of abracadabra. The story goes that the founder’s lawyer misheard it as a cadaver. It’s a lesson that shows, you need to choose a brand name that can’t be misinterpreted or mispronounced.

Moreover, it’s important to get your business name out there before settling on it. If you ask your friends or family, then you are more likely to pick up on such mistakes. You need to research to find out whether or not there are hidden meanings to the word you use for your business.

A great example of this is the recent naming of the space object ‘Ultima Thule’. The term is derived from the ancient Roman and Greek languages. The term though had been used by neo-nazi groups and still is today which got everyone in an uproar. It’s an example of how an innocent sounding name can have such a dark connotation.

Don’t stress

Whether you want your business name in your logo, or have a separate symbol like Microsoft, it’s up to you. Whichever you choose, keep it short, network for opinion, research it and work with your logo designer to come up with special brand name and image.

Author Bio: Alicia Rother is a freelance content strategist who writes about small business and startup branding.

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 13 July 2019 at 04:16 , Blogger PPC Expert said...

Great article. I cover every point of my doubts. I loved this post. 
Thank you so much for this article.
Regard,
Software Development Company
Web Development Company

 
At 30 April 2020 at 00:44 , Blogger Bandile Kungawo said...

your blog is very good. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not good. I also found your posts very interesting ui design agency

 
At 1 May 2020 at 03:50 , Blogger MtomSEO said...

The author covered some curious points here. I came across this by using Yahoo and I must confess that I am currently subscribed for your blog, it is quite great ui/ux designer

 
At 10 May 2020 at 02:43 , Blogger MtomSEO said...

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I have truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon! mobile app developer

 
At 12 May 2020 at 12:48 , Blogger Unknown said...

I am glad to be one of the visitants on this outstanding internet site (:, regards for posting . website tips

 
At 13 May 2020 at 00:23 , Blogger Hetuwa Duminda said...

I want reading through and I conceive this website got some really utilitarian stuff on it! . website design

 
At 13 May 2020 at 04:44 , Blogger Yousufzai said...

As soon as I found this internet site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them. converting websites

 
At 17 May 2020 at 05:40 , Blogger sdexter said...

Hello I am so delighted I located your site, I really located you by mistake, while I was looking on yahoo for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say cheers for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work. branding agency

 
At 18 May 2020 at 05:58 , Blogger khanabaaz said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this Magic Mesh Door Coverblog. I’m hoping the same high-grade blog post from you in the future also. Actually your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own screen door instant website going now. Actually blogging is spreading its wings and growing fast. Your write up is a great example. top brand agencies

 
At 19 May 2020 at 05:32 , Blogger Hetuwa Duminda said...

I like this site very much so much excellent information. ui/ux designer

 
At 20 May 2020 at 10:12 , Blogger julie lars said...

I really don’t accept this particular article. Nonetheless, I had searched with Google and I’ve found out that you’re right and I had been thinking in the improper way. Keep on creating top quality material similar to this. interface designer

 
At 20 October 2021 at 05:08 , Blogger Rank up by seo said...

I really enjoyed reading this post, big fan. Keep up the good work andplease tell me when can you publish more articles or where can I read more on the subject?
business name ideas

 
At 22 June 2022 at 08:22 , Blogger Digital Blogger said...

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for the conscientious work done, for the time spent, for the efforts made, and most importantly - for the excellent result! I wish you success in your future projects, creative ideas, physical strength, patience, and most importantly, time. There is no doubt about the quality of the work - it is just on top!
k125jose | westseattleblog | 55909 | wedesignthemes | commiss

 
At 23 January 2023 at 06:21 , Blogger Website Development Company Delaware said...

Great job for publishing such a nice article. Your article isn’t only useful but it is additionally really informative. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us

Best Website Design Services in Maryland

 
At 21 April 2023 at 03:04 , Blogger helium creative said...

Thanks for this great article, I really enjoyed it from beginning to ending because this is very interesting.

Marketing Agency Philadelphia
Best SEO Services Los Angeles
Graphic Design Agency Miami

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home